Despair and his Rider, Death.
|Hair||Pale green, Greenish fire upon the mane.|
|Unusual Features||Appears somewhat rotted, has green fire about his body.|
|Occupation||Steed of Death.|
|Relatives||Ruin (Horse of War)|
|Alias||The Pale Horse|
|“||For what follows Death, but Despair?||”|
Despair is one of the four horses of the Four Horsemen, his rider being Death. He has a skeletal emaciated appearance, a glowing green haze emanating from within his body and his eyes glowing with green light as well. His skin is mostly torn and somewhat rotted with some of his bones showing. Just as Ruin is the main mount is Darksiders, Despair is the main mount in Darksiders II.
When Death went to visit the Horsemaster, the ancient being recounted Death's taming of Despair. While his siblings bickered, the eldest Horseman charged into a stampeding herd of horses as old as Creation. He quickly mounted one and enforced his will over it, driving it back to the Horsemaster. He then named the horse Despair as it shifted from its previous hazy dust brown form to rotted flesh and bone to reflect its master.
- Due to the negative backlash of how long it took for War to obtain Ruin as a mount in Darksiders, Despair is with Death at the very beginning of the game.
- Darksiders II also is much larger than the original Darksiders, and as such Despair's early access is a key to getting around the land easier.
- Despair's color comes from an interpretation of the Bible. In some versions he is described as green, which is the color of dead skin. Also it would have been difficult to make a horse pale in color, so it is simply bone-white with green accents.
- The Riders' steeds are never named in the Bible.
- The Xbox One version of Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition mistakenly refers to Despair as Ruin. The game hub's achievement page lists "Total Distance Travelled on Ruin".