"All of creation cares not whether you live or die."
| Draven |
Also Known As: Master of Blades, Blademaster
|Means of Travel||On foot|
|Occupation||Advanced Combat Trainer|
|Main Weapon||Swords, daggers|
|Enemies||Dead King, Chancellor|
|Allies||Death, Lilith (implied)|
|Actor Name (en)||Troy Baker|
|“|| I am the Master of Blades. And all that remains of a warrior once called Draven from the Kingdom of Man.|
|“|| I should have passed through the Well of Souls, long ago. But I won my freedom in the Arena - only to fall beneath the Dead King's whip|
— Draven, speaking about his past
Draven's life as a human is unknown beyond him being a very skilled warrior from the Kingdom of Man.
When he died and entered the Kingdom of the Dead, he was given a chance to escape the grave. To earn this privilege, he was told to conquer the arena. Even though Draven emerged victorious, he was betrayed and made a servant to the Dead King instead - a fate he considers worse than death itself.
|“|| Draven: Did the Chancellor send you? Well, Horseman, I've beaten death once. And I can do it again.|
Death: I have no idea what you're talking about.
Draven: Of course not. You still reek of hope! You couldn't have met the Chancellor..."
— Draven and Death upon first meeting
Draven was the first resident of the Eternal Throne Death encountered. When they first met each other, the undead warrior believed the Horseman was sent by the Chancellor to fight him. When Death expressed his confusion, Draven elaborated his disdain for the undead advisor.
After Death's meeting with the Chancellor, Draven gave information about the Arena Champion, Gnashor, and an opportunity to take part in hunting the Bloodless. The Blademaster was eager to slay the Bloodless as the Lord of Bones was very fond of them and seeing the Dead King upset was an opportunity too good for the Master of Blades to miss.
Death came to respect Draven and offered to free him from the the Dead King's service through death, but Draven refused. He'd bide his time for revenge, either by killing the Dead King himself or taking his crown.
It is unknown what Draven was like prior to life as an undead. However, Draven possess a level of ambition, as he hoped to return from the grave and lead an army that would conquer all and he demonstrates pride in his title as the Master of Blades.
In his life as a servant to the Lord of Bones after being betrayed, Draven develops a pessimistic outlook on nearly everything with a desire for revenge against those who betrayed him, including the Lord of Bones. Despite this he holds a level of knowledge and respect for Death as he aided him on his quest by offering new combat techniques.
- The name "Draven" may be a reference to the Eric Draven, the protagonist of The Crow. Michael Wincott, the voice of Death, played Top Dollar, the antagonist of The Crow.
- Interestingly, his name also parallels the chapion Draven from the MOBA game League of Legends, who is also skilled with weapons. This is most likely a coincidence, as Darksiders II was in development long before the champion in question was released.
- The Dark Avenger buckler which Death can acquire in the Forge Lands belonged to him.
- There's an engraving of Draven with Lilith on the door to the Well of Souls. Whenter this signifies a past history between them is unknown.
- On New Game+, Draven gives Death a pair of angelic scythes, the Static Blades. Due to that, Draven is in a sense the only character who seems to have ties to each of the known realms. Heaven, as he has the scythes, Hell, for his involvement with Lilith, Earth, for being born there, and the Maker's Realm, in which his buckler can be found.
- Draven speaks with a distinct British accent.